The works on the Tsaritsani sewerage system and the connection to the WWTP in Elassona will begin in the next few days.
It is an important environmental project, which improves the quality of life of the local people. The signing of the contract for the construction of the project "Sewerage network of Tsaritsani and connection projects with the WWTP of Elassona"of a total budget of 4,984,999,99 € was held on 21 January in the Region of Thessaly between the Regional Governor of Thessaly Mr. K. Agorastou, Mayor of Elassona Mr. N. Evangelou and the contractor TEDRA Mr. I. Tolios.
The project is part of the Operational Program Infrastructure for Transport, Environment and Sustainable Development (YMEPERAA), managed by the Special Management Agency of the Region of Thessaly in the framework of the management of the assigned resources for Sewage and Wastewater projects and is co-financed by the Cohesion Fund and National Resources.
With the construction of the project, the following will be implemented:
The main objectives of the project are:
- Environmentally safe wastewater management of the settlement
- The coverage of the legislative requirements of the European Directive 91/271 on the treatment of urban waste water.
- Protection of public health in the wider area, as the uncontrolled discharge of untreated sewage into the ground or streams can cause serious outbreaks of infection and transmission of infectious diseases. The construction of the projects to be considered in the framework of the proposed study guarantees the safe disposal of outflows with the direct consequence of protecting human health.
- Protection and promotion of the wider natural environment.
Additional objectives of the project are:
- Increasing tourist traffic in the area
- Economic development and general upgrading of the area. The directly benefiting population from the construction of the project amounts to 2,015 inhabitants, which is the total population of the settlement. The total number of inhabitants of the Municipality of Elassona, which amounts to 32,121 inhabitants, benefits indirectly.
The project aims at the decontamination of the area and the upgrading of the natural environment, which has been greatly impacted in recent years due to human activity with a strong impact on both the health of the people living and working in the region and the economy of the region. Addressing the problem of wastewater management is of particular importance and a basic prerequisite for the sustainable development of the area. A key component of the problem is the uncontrolled disposal of sewage and sewage from the settlement of Tsaritsanis, resulting in pollution of groundwater and surface water and the risk to public health. It is necessary to construct the sewerage network in the area to drive all the produced urban waste water to the Elassona Wastewater Treatment Plant for processing. The construction of the project also involves compliance with Directive 91/271 / EEC as the settlements of Tsaritsani is included in the list of priority C settlements.